For the last couple of days I have given my diet an overhaul.When I say diet I mean an assesment and alteration of my eating habits not "I am on a diet".I should mention that I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian.
It had to happen!I have adopted some really really REALLY awful eating habits!My healthy friends would just cringe!So lately I had been eating pizza or nachos etc. DAILY and eating late,chips popcorn and worst of all.Pop by the bottle full!
Two days ago I stepped on the scales to discover that I had exceeded my post baby weight,after having given birth to 5 children I was now the fattest I had ever been!I topped the scales at 133lbs! Now to all of you out there rolling your eyes, let me point out that I am only 5ft 1and 1/2 inches tall......and NOT muscular!My kids were eating well ,but I was not.
Long story short I now weigh 125lbs...2days later!I know, I know,its water weight whatever it is it is 8 fewer lbs!So here is what I have changed.Thanks to the helpful advice of a friend
- Only whole fruit for breakfast- eat a lot!
- NO CHEESE! I was not impressed about this one."Even cottage cheese?" I pleaded and whined.My whining paid off because she allowed it"for now". :)
- Eat whole fruit before each meal.
- Drink water instead of pop....I know, a no brainer but I was seriously addicted to Dr.Pepper!I knew going cold turkey would be impossible so I switched to real fruit spritzers.They are hard to get and pricey ,so I do not drink much and it is satisfying my need for carbonation.I do actually drink water now.And realized that I was often eating when I was thirsty.I discovered this when after loading up on fruit and veggies I got the urge to eat ,but knew that there was NO WAY that I could be hungry as I could physically feel how full I was.I figured out that like so many over-eaters,my thirst reflex has become so weak that I do not even recognize thirst anymore.
- Eat a large salad every day,be mindful of high fat dressings.I have been using cottage cheese as my dressing ,it is delicious!
- No eating after 7!Herbal teas,and water only.This used to be normal for me but I got into bad habits.I am glad to be back on track,I feel great not going to bed with that..."eww-I-can't-stand-myself-for -eating -like-this" feelingI am looking forward to NOT FEELING MY THIGHS TOUCH! (SHUDDER)
- Go outside at least 15 min each day,work up a light sweat.
So far so good!Other than the dramatic drop in weight,which I am well aware that I will gain some back,the biggest surprise is that I do not feel denied or hungry!Maybe I finally grossed myself out enough to finally take the proper steps toward health.EVERY WOMAN in my family is obese! I will not be the next statistic and neither will my daughters!I think that we all have the power to control this..This is a move toward health,a step forward, is better than backwards or nowhere at all!
I will let you know in a week how things went!